Wednesday 27 March 2013

Knowing your spots from your Strypes

One thing you should know about me, is that I pride myself in finding new music. The music industry is an immensely decorated canvas of different styles and bands just waiting to be found. Admittedly, it's nice to find that one good band before anybody else does, so you can hold the insignificant mantle of 'I listened to them first'. Of course, that means nothing. Really, I just like to find good music, and I like to pass this good music onto my friends, who then also start listening to this band and the love affair begins. The first stage of listening to a band is pretty special. Especially when you find one that ticks all the right boxes. Enter The Strypes.

Now, i'm not saying i'm the first person to discover this band, as they are liked by a fellow 16,000
The Strypes' EP
people on facebook. But still, they're relatively unknown, but The Strypes give me that feeling that they're going to go on to something huge. A quick scour of the internet and other blogs are also tipping them for international success. Maybe a bit early for a band that is made entirely of 15 year olds.

I just happened to discover The Strypes through a gig that i'm hopefully attending in July. The Courteeners are performing an outdoor festival, and are supported by 3 acts on each day. Because we were originally meant to be attending the Friday, I thought i'd give The Strypes are listen and was pleasantly surprised by what I heard. Now, we've switched to the Saturday, so as to catch Reverend & The Makers, which leads me a tad disappointed not to be catching this young band and hopefully seeing them being just as good live as they are on record. But no matter, an opportunity will arise to see them again in the future, and maybe with a bit of luck they could be announced for Leeds fest on one of the smaller stages.

All I can say at the minute, is go listen to their EP (Young, Gifted and Blue) and keep an eye out for them in the future. Watch this space...



No comments:

Post a Comment