Monday 14 January 2013

BTB - Automatic Doors

Today, I had a very unfortunate incident with an automatic door. As I was leaving my university building, the combined slowness of the 'automatic' door and my apparent hurriedness to catch my train meant that I was just too quick for the mechanism and walked straight into it. Face first. After a quick step back and regaining of my composure, the doors opened and I carried on about my day. Thankfully, nobody was around to see but it got me thinking, when did we become so lazy?

Is there really any need for automatic doors? A door is a mild inconvenience at the most. It's not as if every door we have in the world is automatic, so I don't really understand why we have doors that open for us once we step on a sensor? Are they really necessary or a waste of electricity? Surely on a dying planet we can cope without automatic doors and maybe save on electricity. Only my blog can someone argue that automatic doors could preserve life as we know it.

Also, is there any need to actually signpost automatic doors as automatic doors? Can't it just be a nice surprise that one day you're walking up to a door and it magically opens for you. The signage completely ruins the surprise. Then as you walked through you'd share a hearty chuckle with whoever you with, that it's an automatic door and not a regular door and you were deceived by it's likeness of a normal door.  We're past the stage now where we think we're magic and the door is tainted by witches, although it's always fun to pretend that you're opening the door, don't lie... we all do it...

No comments:

Post a Comment