Thursday 20 December 2012

ML - Top 10 live songs of 2012

1. When You Were Young - The Killers
When You Were Young led into the encore when I saw Killers in November. I'd absolutely hammered the Battleborn album before seeing them, and was really excited to see songs such as Runaways and Miss Atomic Bomb, but completely forgot about The Sam's Town album, which in my opinion is their best album. When You Were Young was a phenomenal sing along, and was the perfect song to lead into the encore. Despite being a little disappointed they didn't sing 'River Is Wild', this song made up for it completely. It really was phenomenal. 


2. I Will Wait - Mumford & Sons
The second song of the night, and we'd only been stood there for about 2 minutes when they started to play I Will Wait. I spent more time watching the audience up in the seating area than the actual band simply because of how loud they were singing. I thought The Killers was loud but this particular song was something else. Probably would have been number one had it been either place in the encore or the song leading into the encore. Still, absolutely epic, and Mumford deserved the adulation for such a spectacular song. 


3. All My Life - Foo Fighters
Posted this video on my Top 10 acts of 2012 post, and that was the Reading performance, in my opinion the Leeds performance was better. However, as already stated, not the biggest fan of the Foo Fighters, but I like a couple of their songs. The set was fantastic, but this song was incredible. Dave Grohl is a fantastic front man and put his heart and soul into this song and the crowd responded. Great live song, and it was great being there. 


4. Common People - Pulp
Probably the ultimate song to hear live. We danced, we drinked, we screwed, because there was nothing else to do. The words echo around your head, and it's so relatable to us 'northeners' as we are the common people. It was great to have a sing and a dance to, and Jarvis was in his element. A little disappointed that the show was one of their last, but they can't keep going on forever, and signing off at a hometown show, doesn't get much better. 


5. Not Nineteen Forever - The Courteeners
Again, another brilliant sing along. Made all the more brilliant that I was actually 19 when we saw them, so there was a tiny bit of relation to the song. The Courteeners are an amazing live band, and i've already booked tickets to see them in March next year in Sheffield. I will never ever tire of seeing them, and anticipate the new album Anna, released around the time of my birthday, which is when i realise that i'm in fact, not nineteen forever. 


6. "45" - The Gaslight Anthem
The song that got me into Gaslight. Despite being badgered constantly to listen to them, I finally started liking them after seeing this song live. Lead singer Brian Fallon couldn't stop smiling throughout the performance, simply because how much the crowd loved it. They were bouncing, they were singing and it really was an incredible song to see live. Can't wait to see them in March next year in Manchester, where i'm hoping for more of the same.


7. Disco 2000 - Pulp
'Now we're warmed up, let's have a bit of a dance' were the words that lead into Disco 2000, and it was true. We'd had a couple of songs to bounce around to, and get ourselves in the mood, then Jarvis & co. blurted out Disco 2000 to a packed Sheffield Arena. A magical moment. As said above, disappointed that I probably won't see them again, but Common People & Disco 2000 will always be great live songs that I saw. 


8. I Always Knew - The Vaccines
I avoided putting The Vaccines in my previous post about my 10 best live acts, as i'm unbelievably biased and will always love their live performances. I've loved The Vaccines since day one, and they're probably always going to always hold the mantle of my favourite band. Henceforth, it would be silly to exclude them from this list, and I Always Knew was a personal highlight from their gig at Doncaster Dome. Me and my friends have a running gag that the song would be perfect to play while riding on horseback, so when the song came on, we all trotted on the spot pretending to ride on horses. 


9. Polar Bear - King Charles
King Charles doesn't even get a mention in my other post, which in hindsight is a little unfair. The thing that made the gig so annoying was how exhausting it was. We arrived early and were queuing outside for around half an hour, then had to endure four support acts. It really was too much for somebody as little as King Charles, so by the time he came on, my feet were hurting and I was pretty tired. However, Polar Bear was pretty epic, and i'm glad that I can now cross him off my list. Polar Bear, I can't even describe, was just unbelievably epic singing along to.


10. Spaceman - The Killers
The Killers sneak in again at number 10, with Spaceman. The Number 10 slot could quite easily have been Runaways or Miss Atomic Bomb but chose Spaceman because of the cool graphics they had going on in the background. It was also a really good singalong, but then again so was the entire concert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment